Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Monte Cristo Sandwiches




The truth is, before I married Justin, I had never heard of this scrumptious sandwich! He loves them so much, a few months back I decided that I would surprise him and learn how to make them. They have been a big hit not only with my honey, but as you can see the kids dig them as well! Here's how you make one:

2 slices of bread dipped only one side in egg batter as if you were making french toast
several sliced of ham-we like the shaved Kirkland Ham from Costco
(traditional Monte Cristos are served with both ham and turkey, but we don't care much for turkey)
2 sliced swiss cheese

Grill like a grilled cheese (until egg batter on bread is fully cooked), sprinkle with powdered sugar and dip in Melba Sauce.

I have found it difficult to locate the Melba Sauce but it is key to making these sandwiched superb!
P.S. I just could not get the second picture to rotate for some strange reason, sorry it looks funny!

1 comments:

Brooke said...

What the heck is Melba Sauce? Do you make it or purchase it?

I LOVE Monte Cristo Sandwiches. I found my love for them when I lived in San Antonio.