Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Family Update....

I didn't even cry yesterday. We even talked with the kids about if and when we would get another dog. Family consensus is Christmas. We're hoping Santa will come through for us. I have a good feeling that he will. We all agree that a little mini Dachshund would suit us best.
It's been a very busy week at our home. I am still adjusting from the "mom shock" of preschool, kindergarten and 1st grade. Add class projects, soccer, dance, National Assisted Living Week and Senior Games and I'm pretty much a raging crazy person!
Isaac~has now decided that First grade isn't so bad and that school lunch pretty much rocks! His teacher sent home a note this week that said during the summer and his first part of 1st grade, his reading skills have jumped to a 2nd grade level. He has gotten a perfect score on all three spelling tests thus far. It helps that we pay $1 for a perfect test and $.50 for each bonus word he gets correct. Same for soccer, $1 for goals $.50 for assists. Before you judge us, remember that his main source of income (scooping poop) has went away. His book order came yesterday. He was excited and read independently 10 pages in his "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". He then asked if he could take it to school and read it on the bus and at recess. There's ALOT of brains in this kid and he is so much like his dad, constantly filling our home with joy.
Ethan~ the gentle, quite giant of the family has really come out of that little turtle shell since starting Kindergarten. It helps that he and best friend Christian are in the same class. He excitedly greets each new school day (up at 6:30 am) with a smile. Many mornings, I open my eyes to his bright toothless grin staring back at me. He hates wearing jeans or slacks to school. I am addressed every day with the, "Mom, WHY do you have to make me wear NICE clothes everyday?" That kid could live in pajama pants his whole life and be perfectly happy. He spends his days after school picking veggies from our garden, hopping the fence to see the baby kittens on Brother Heaps' "farm"and feeding crickets to his pet frog Dip. He's taken to telling me every day, all day how much he loves me (I don't mind at all:) He recently gave his first prayer at Church (big deal for him) and is giving a talk this week, we'll see how that goes. Ethan continues to add a quiet sweetness to our family
Our little Abby~isn't so little anymore. She spends most of her days dressed as a princess and has very much taken to being treated like a princess (ALL THE TIME). When not dressed as a princess, she obsesses over the whereabouts of her backpack and is prideful of her status as a "school girl". Abby is enjoying her preschool experience discovering her new friends at Mrs. Kelly's. She loves her dance class. However, she is kind of a menace to the entire class. I called today to switch her to the "mom & me" class so we can re-direct a little easier. Our little Tweeter is enjoying the fact that her brothers leave for school each day and she has Miss Aubrey all to herself! Abby will be seen at Primary Children's again this next week to prepare for a surgical procedure she will soon undergo to test for possible Glaucoma. This little girl is proving to be quite resilient. We try to remain positive that her sight in her left eye can be restored, but it's an uphill battle. We're so grateful for this free spirit in our lives!
Jus and I plug onward....
We are happily awaiting our upcoming "baby free" journey to New York City to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Our careers keep us hopping and we continue to be grateful for the opportunities we are given to provide for our family during this economic downturn. Mr. Hill is in Football Heaven and has high hopes for his Chiefs this season. I am enjoying being room mom for Ethan's Kindergarten class, PTA and volunteering at the school. I am almost finished with the two Pirate Quilts I am making for the boys rooms and am quickly turning my attention to Christmas projects. My goal is to make homemade gifts for all those on my list. Don't worry....it's good stuff. Oh, and I'm going to start soon on re staining my formal dining room set (in all my spare time). It's obvious how much I love blogging. I am most frequently asked how I have time for it. I will let you in on a little secret, most weeks I blog on Sundays for the entire week. I just save my posts as drafts and then publish them each day. Seriously takes 10 seconds.
Well, that's it in a not-so-nutshell!
Have a great weekend all!

3 comments:

Celisa said...

Mindy, you are seriously so amazing. You do so much and you are such a great mom and person. Just wanted to let you know that I think you are awesome!

Mindy Hill said...

CC: You are so sweet. Thanks so much. You and Shannon and I need to get together. Have you guys moved yet? :)

PALMERS said...

Thanks for sharing your little secret. I need to try that rather than posting a bunch in one day to catch up. You are awesome. I love checking your blog. You do such a great job.