Friday, August 1, 2008

Good Kids Reads




For those of you who don't know, Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite authors. I discovered the magic of his humor at my first job working with Alzheimer's Patients. His poems are simple but to the point, something that most people with AD appreciate. Later in life, as my children have grown, it has become a bedtime favorite for them. I also remember reading them at bedtime with Justin when we were first married. Sadly, Shel passed away a few years ago at a very young age. But his works live on in my heart. If you haven't read his books, they are a true delight! One of my favorite poems of his is this:


"We gave you the chance to water the plants, we didn't mean that way, now zip up your pants."


Having two boys I can really appreciate this one even more now.
Another family favorite of ours is Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are". This book has an especially important meaning to Justin and I. In the Spring of 1999 we got back in touch with one another after many years. Things moved quickly as I believe we both finally knew that we were meant to be together. I decided to fly to Utah to visit him and some of his other family members. In the weeks before my visit, we talked about many things. At some point I asked him what his favorite children's book was. I had already started my own collection of kids books. We decided not to tell one another and I would bring mine and we would share our books with one another during our visit. The first night I arrived in Utah, we got our books out. It turns out that "Where the Wild Things Are" was both of our favorite! In addition, the copy of the book that Justin had was his own copy as a little boy. You see, we were meant to be together! It's another great classic!

0 comments: